Wednesday, May 24, 2006/lk
News staff writer
May 10, 2006
The United Way of Hood River County announced a record level of funding to area organizations and agencies.
“For the second year in a row, people in Hood River County have stepped forward with record donations and contributions,” stated United Way Board President Paul Blackburn.
“We are very pleased to announce the award of over $90,000 to 17 agencies. These dollars will allow those service providers to dedicate more of their time to fulfilling their missions, and less time trying to make ends meet.”
Several of this year’s recipients have historically received funds from United Way, including Hospice of the Gorge, Next Door, Inc.’s New Parent Services and the Columbia Gorge Center, among others.
First-time recipients include the Next Door’s Independent Living Program and Mountain Orchard Academy and Start Making A Reader Today (SMART).
Allocations Committee Chair Becca Sanders observed, “The funding requests we received were all very worthwhile. It’s unfortunate that we can’t fund them all, but are very pleased to be able to increase overall funding again this year due to the generous support from the community.”
Agencies receiving United Way allocations, with amounts received in parentheses, are:
* New Parent Services ($8,100);
* FISH Food Bank ($4,800);
* First Book ($2,000);
* Columbia Gorge Center ($11,500);
* Big Brothers/Big Sisters ($5,000);
* Independent Living Program ($6,042);
* SMART ($5,000);
* Next Door Inc. Youth Crisis Shelter ($3,000);
* Pioneer Potlatch ($4,660);
* Providence Community Caregivers Faith In Action ($3,040);
* Mountain Orchard Academy ($3,000);
* Eastern Oregon Support Services Brokerage ($1,250);
* Hospice of the Gorge ($10,095);
* Nuestra Communidad Sana ($4,000);
* Girl Scouts ($5,060);
* CGCC Adult Literacy Program ($900);
* American Red Cross ($14,000).
To donate or to get involved with United Way, contact Barbara Briggs at P.O. Box 2, Hood River, OR 97031, or phone (541) 386-6100, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org